Read With A Child
Change a Child’s Life In Just One Hour Each Week
We would love to welcome you to reading mentoring at one of our 24 school sites. We will match you with a child you will look forward to seeing every week, and we will give you all the support you need.
For more information about mentoring with Everybody Wins! Vermont, read on.
Everybody Wins! Vermont Reading Mentors
Everybody Wins! Vermont reading mentors are not teachers, tutors, or testers! Mentors are friends who read with the same child every week. Think of reading time like a bedtime story: a warm, comfortable time together to share a book. When children are read to one-on-one by a caring adult, research shows that their reading improves — and so does their interest in other subjects, their confidence, social skills, and interest in school.
Everybody Wins! Vermont carefully matches mentors with children they will love to see and spend time with every week. We take into account your personality, interests, and preferences — and theirs! — when we match you with a child. Our mentors tell us that their reading day is their favorite day of the week.
- Mentors commit to one full year of reading. Having a mentor leave partway through a year can re-traumatize a child who may already be struggling. Most mentors read for several years with the same child.
- Mentors fill out our application online. We ask for the information we need to check criminal records and three references.
- Mentors like children! They build relationships by talking about shared interests, by being positive and consistent, by reading aloud together, and through other activities.
- Mentors enjoy reading, children’s books, and reading with children. Most of your time will be spent reading, although there is also time for conversation, games, and other literacy activities.
- Mentors provide some structure. They help children choose the book(s) to read, keep them engaged, and encourage questioning and conversation.
- Mentors keep clear boundaries. Everybody Wins! Vermont is a school-based program, and mentors are expected to only have contact with their reading mentee at school.
What can you expect?
- It will take us 2-3 weeks to process your application. Help us out by getting in touch with your references and letting them know to look out for an email or a phone call from us.
- The Everybody Wins! site coordinator will interview you one-on-one to get to know you and make a great match for you with a child.
- You’ll also have a group orientation with other mentors to see the space and learn about lunchtimes and routines in your school.
- Each week you’ll go to school at the same time on the same day to meet with the same child. If you have a conflict there is an opportunity to come on a different day just for that week, but typically your reading day will stay the same.
- The site coordinator will tell you what the routine is at your school. Typically the child gets their lunch and meets you by the book cart to choose a book and go to your reading spot.
- There will be a chance to choose a gift book for or with your student twice a year, from an assortment we provide.
- There will be a literacy night once a year, typically in the evening, for a chance to meet your mentee’s parents and do something fun around books and stories together, or have a special entertainer like a storyteller or an author or a musician.
- The site coordinator will help you with any questions or concerns about your reading mentoring relationship.
Please get in touch!
- Email your school’s Everybody Wins! site coordinator. Click here to find the location nearest you.
- Call our Montpelier office: 802-229-2665.
- Click here to email our main office.
Ready to Apply?